You've probably spent a lot of time and money on your carport, so let’s look at maintenance tips for carports, keep your carport in perfect shape. This is to make sure it lasts as long as possible. By following these maintenance tips, you can keep your steel carport in top shape and ensure that the investment continues to provide years of shade and protection.
Pergola Kits - Maintenance Tips for Carports
This article also applies to keeping your pergola kit or covered patio area in first class shape. A Pergola Kit is made of the same materials and is basically the same structure as kit carports.
What Kit Carports and Pergola Kits need the most attention?
If you have purchased a Professional Choice Carport kit, you probably don’t need to read this article. The 25 years plus warranty on the all-Australian steel will see the carport last as long as yourself! However, for those who have a cheaper carport made from cheaper, imported mild
steel, these tips can be useful. Australian Colorbond has a 25 year warranty but the thinner look-alike imported sheets with name like “Slate Grey’, “Smooth Cream”, and “Mist Green” as well as imported Zincalume will find these tips handy.
Clean the steel carport with a pressure washer.
A pressure washer is a great way to clean the steel carport. It will blast away any dirt and grime, leaving your carport looking like new.
You should use a pressure washer with a high-pressure nozzle to ensure that all the dirt is removed from the steel posts and beams. If you don't have access to a pressure washer, then you could clean it with soap and water instead; however, this method won't be as effective at removing stubborn stains or rust in your carport structure.
Spray your carport with a rust-preventative.
Spray your carport with a rust-preventative. Rust is one of the biggest threats to the longevity of your carport, so it's important that you take steps to prevent it from happening. There are several different types of sprays on the market that will help keep your structure protected against rust and other damage caused by weather conditions like rain and hail stones.
Rust prevention is important in salt air - Maintenance Tips for Carports
Most Australians live close to the coast and the sea air. There is nothing worse for steel corrosion than salt in the air. It is particularly important to prevent corrosion in coastal locations.
There are various brands of spray-on rust prevention. These are available in most hardware stores. The various brands can differ significantly so check out what is best for your situation. There are some general guidelines for choosing which spray is best for you:
- Look for products that contain zinc chloride or zinc bromide as their active ingredient--these ingredients are known for their ability to provide effective protection against corrosion even after prolonged exposure in harsh environments. They also tend not leave behind any residue once dried out on surfaces like concrete floors or steel beams; this means less work afterward cleaning up after using them.
Repair any small cracks in your steel carport.
If your carport has a few small cracks, you can repair them. First, use a wire brush to remove any loose paint from around the crack. Use emery paper to remove any remaining rust and to smooth off the surface. Next, apply a small amount of fibreglass or filling putty over the crack and press it into place with your finger. Let dry completely before sanding down any excess material using fine grit sandpaper. Remember to give the filled area a good undercoat before finishing off with your paint colour.
Repaint your steel carports or pergola kits when necessary - Maintenance Tips for Carports
It's time to repaintyour carport kit if you notice that your steel carports are getting chipped, faded or rusty. This will not only make your carport look brand new but also prolong its life span by protecting it from further damage.
Remove mildew from your pergola roof or carports' roof.
To remove mildew from your carport's roof, you'll need to use a mildew-removing product. Apply the product to the mildewed area and let it sit for a few minutes. Scrub away any remaining stains with a sponge or scrub brush, then rinse off with water and dry with a towel.
Cleaning Your Cantilever Carport
Cantaport cantilever carports are becoming very popular. They add to the appearance of any home with their sleek, modern design. Another advantage of owning a Cantaport is the extremely low maintenance required to keep them looking like new. Cantaports are made of thick, powder
coated aluminium which will not mark or rust. The special polycarbonate roof sheeting will usually keep itself clean with rainfall. However, in periods of drought, just hose off the dust that may collect on the roof and it will sparkle like new again.
Summary - Maintenance Tips for Carports, Keep Your Carport in Perfect Shape
Follow these easy steps to keep your steel carports or pergola kit in perfect shape: -
- Clean your carport with a pressure washer.
- Spray it with a rust-preventative.
- Repair any small cracks in your steel carport, if necessary.
- Re-paint the steel carports when necessary, or every 10-15 years if they are exposed to harsh weather conditions like rain and hail and snow.
- The exceptionally long warranty on Australian Colorbond will make maintenance almost unnecessary. Do not confuse Colorbond with cheaper, thinner, imported steel sheet with colours like ‘Smooth cream”, “Mist Green” and “Slate Grey.” These are NOT Colorbond products.
With these tips, you can keep your carport in perfect shape. It's important to remember that the more you care for it, the longer it will last!
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Car Port, carport, carport builder, carport design, carport for home Carport, carport gable roof, carport home, carport ideas, carport kit, carport maintenance, carports, Carports maintenance tips, custom carport, double carport, gable, gable carport, gable carport kit, maintain carport, metal carport, pergola kit maintenance, single carport, solar ready carport, two bay carport