You may be using your car cover wrong, so let’s look at how to use a car cover properly. In this article, we'll show you how to use and care for a car cover properly so that your vehicle can stay protected against dust, dirt, and other contaminants.
How to install a car cover
Once you've purchased a car cover, it's time to put it on your vehicle. Follow these steps:
- Clean the exterior of your car with a soft cloth and water. This will get rid of any dirt and grime or other residue that could cause scratching between the cover and your paintwork.
- Check that the car cover is the right size for your vehicle. A cover that is too big will move in the wind. Again, if dust and grime get between the cover and your paintwork, it can cause scratching.
- Place the cover over top of your car at the back and fold/roll over the top. You can then unfold the car cover to drop over the sides. Adjust to cover the whole vehicle if necessary. Pull down to fit the elastic front edge then move to the back and do the same. (See photo above).
Once everything looks good, you can use your front and back tie-downs until everything feels secure.
How to clean an outdoor car cover
- Clean the car cover with water and mild soap.
- Use a soft brush to clean dirt and stains from it, then rinse with clean water when you're done.
- Don't use harsh chemicals or detergents on your car cover--they could damage its UV and waterproofing properties. This would make it less effective at protecting your vehicle against weather damage! If you need to remove stains that are particularly stubborn, try using diluted dishwashing liquid instead of washing powder or laundry liquid (you can also try vinegar). But be sure to test out any new cleaning solution in an inconspicuous part of the car cover first just in case it doesn't go well!
How to clean an indoor car cover
Most superior quality indoor car covers are washing machine safe. Always use a mild washing liquid and a gentle washing cycle.
If your indoor cover is not washing machine safe, a mild hand wash is recommended.
How to remove a car cover safely
When you remove your car cover, it's important to do so in an organized sensibly. You are reversing the process of fitting a car cover. (See photo above). The first thing to remember is that you should never pull the cover over your vehicle. If some grime and dirt is on the car, pulling the cover will cause this dust and dirt to scratch the paintwork. Instead, fold it up on the roof on top of itself and lift it off carefully. It is easier to lift the cover off and do this on a clean floor. Do not place the cover on a dirty floor as dust and dirt will easily stick to the soft interior of the cover. Most covers can be rolled up to store so roll the cover up on the car roof then lift the whole thing off. Those who do some camping and are used to folding tents, will find folding or rolling a car cover easy.
How to store your car cover correctly - How to Use a Car Cover Properly
Storing your car cover in its bag correctly is just as important as using it correctly. Here are some tips:
- Store the cover in a dry place. If you notice any moisture on the inside of your cover, remove it immediately and allow it to dry completely before storing.
- Don't store your cover in direct sunlight or near heating vents. These conditions can cause mildew, which may damage both your vehicle's paint job.
- Do not store an extremely wet or damp car cover; this can lead to mould growth.
Techniques for installing, cleaning, and storing your car covers.
Car covers are an essential part of any car owner's toolkit. They help protect your vehicle from dust, dirt, and UV damage. It's important to use them correctly so that they last as long as possible. If you do not follow thew recommendations of folding and storing your cover, you will also forfeit the warranty of the cover.
This guide should help you on how to use and care for your car cover properly.
Summary - How to Use a Car Cover Properly
We hope this article has helped you learn how to install, clean, and store your car covers. Please remember that the most important thing is to take care of your vehicle by using a high-quality cover that is designed for its needs. Your best range of covers for indoor or outdoor use can be found at Car Covers and Shelter.
Share this post
- 1 comment
- Tags: all weather car cover, best car cover for indoor storage, car cover hail, car cover indoor, car cover indoor storage, car cover installation, car cover material, car cover sale, car covers, custom made car covers, Hail protection car cover, how to clean car cover, how to fold a car cover, how to install a car cover, how to remove car cover, how to store car cover, how to use a car cover, indoor car cover, lined car cover, using a car cover daily, waterproof car cover, which car cover material is best